Thursday, March 6, 2014

To Ski or Not to Ski- That is the question…



To Ski or Not to Ski- That is the question…
My brother-in-law has been trying to plan a ski trip for year.  “When are we going?” he would ask.  That was until he finally out smarted us.  “All I want for my birthday is for us to going skiing together!” he pleaded.  So now we are getting a ski house together and hitting the slopes.  My quandary is how does one prepare for a ski adventure?  My first and only time skiing was on an 8th grade field trip.  I spent the day believing I was queen of the mountain, or bunny hill, as it is more commonly known as.  That all changed when a friend told me, “You are really good already! You should go off the bigger slope!”  I believe her whole heartily, began my ascent to the top of the mountain.  I had no fear. I mean I really was beating everyone on the bunny hill, and it never crossed my mind that those were children.  We reach the peak of the mountain and I soon realized that I do not know how to get off this chair left. My execution in doing so was terrible. I slide off the chair and fell right in the snow.  This was only the beginning of my falls. I quickly realized on my trip down that though I had become a fast skier, I never properly learned how to stop.  So as my friends swooshed past my, I continued to throw myself down to prevent certain death. Now I have to face those snowy mountains again, but do I dare ski? I guess I will find out soon enough.

Vocabulary
pleaded – begged
quandary – dilemma, problem
commonly – normally, usually
execution – performance, how you do something
properly – correctly, the right way
prevent – stop
swooshing – sound made by someone rushing past you
Cloze Sentences
1.   I ____________________ with my dad to let me go to the party.
2.   My ____________________  was I wanted both bags but I only had $50.
3.   It is ____________________ known that Minecraft is a new craze.
4.   In the Olympics your ____________________  has to be perfect.
5.   Seat belts ____________________  you from getting seriously hurt in an accident.
6.   I could hear the ____________________  sound as the track time ran past me.

Grammar Lesson- Quotation Marks

o   Using quotations – use quotation marks when you are saying what someone else has stated.  This gives the person credit for their words. It also shows the reader who is speaking.
Activity
Directions: Place the quotation marks in the right place

Stop! Mom said.
Mary begged, Don’t go in there!
Ann asked Where do you want to eat?

http://www.skicamelback.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment