Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Shanghai Cafe in China Town New York

Shanghai Café
      If you want to experience some of the greatest Chinese food in New York, head to Shanghai Cafe.  The restaurant is located on Mott Street, in China Town.  It is one place you will come back to again and again.  My first experience with the restaurant was with my family.  My sister being a city girl always hears about the best places to eat.  She informed us all we must go for something called "Soup Dumplings."  I had never heard of "Soup Dumplings" and knew I had to try them at least once.  They are now one of my most favorite foods, and the best place to get them is at Shanghai.  "Soup Dumplings," or Steamed Tiny Buns as they are labeled on the menu, are pork dumplings infused with the most delicious broth you have ever tasted.  You can also order them with half crab and pork, but my loyalty is to the original.  If that is not up your alley, almost everything on the menu is amazing.  The fried rice is cooked to perfection. The lo mein has larger then normal noodles that only seem to enhance the flavor.  My favorite part of Shanghai Cafe is watching other restaurant diners order their meals.  I am also so interested by the wide variety of unbelievable food they have. One warning would be not to expect the wait staff to be overly kind.  They serve the food quickly and expect a quick turnover to seat the next group of people, but that never stops me.

Vocabulary

locate- to find something

labeled- name put on something, a brand

perfection- something that is wonderful the way it is

enhance- to make something better

variety- many choices, many things

unbelievable- very good, outstanding

turnover- time to have one person finish and a new person come in.

Close Exercise
Directions: fill in the correct vocabulary word to complete the sentence.

1.     I need to _________________ this restaurant.
2.     I _________________ my notebooks with my name.
3.     Ice cream after dinner is _________________ .
4.     I will _________________ the color on my picture to make it look nicer.
5.     I like to have a _________________ of choices for lunch.
6.     McDonalds has a fast _________________ because it is fast food.

Adding –ing to a base word/-ing Suffix

When adding –ing to the end of a base word there are some rules:
§  for most words- you just add –ing after the base word (example- cool/cooling, worry/worrying)
§  If the word ends in e- drop the e and add –ing (example- ride/riding, bite/biting)
§  If the word ends in a vowel consonant- double the consonant and add –ing (example- hop/hopping, pat/patting)
§  Exceptions to the rules-
o  Double e’s
o  change –ie to y before adding –ing

Practice

Directions – add –ing correctly to the following words

1.     fill + ing = _____________________
2.     style + ing = _____________________
3.     jump + ing = _____________________
4.     skip + ing = _____________________
5.     see + ing= _____________________
6.     skip + ing = _____________________

http://shanghaicafenyc.com/

http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/Materials/ndakota/spelling/lesson4.html

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work! This Chinese restaurant seems to have very delicious food. The soup dumplings sound great.I think you could work part-time as a restaurant reviewer (when you are not busy teaching, of course).

    ReplyDelete