Thursday, January 16, 2014

Empellon



                I am not quite sure when I became a foodie.  It may have happened the first time I ate a food that completely blew my mind. Perhaps it was the first time I cooked a dinner for my grandfather, all on my own.  The only thing that I am certain about that food is a great passion of mine.  I have watched numerous cooking shows. I have taken several cooking classes.  In addition, I have eaten at a multitude of restaurants.  I plan most trips around places to eat.  My most recent food experience was at Empellon Taqueria, in New York City’s West Village.  It is a Mexican restaurant created by Alex Stupak, who interestingly began his career as a pastry chef.  If you enjoy Mexican, then you will love Empellon.  One of my favorite parts of the dining experience was the small dishes to share as a table.  Each course was decadent yet left you excited for the next.  My one word of advice is beware of over ordering.  The waitress advised my table to order one plate of each category, which left us terribly full.  The next time I dine at Empellon, I will order only a few dishes at a time.  There is always time for more.

http://empellon.com/taqueria/

Vocabulary
Foodie - a person who loves food

Numerous – many, a lot of

Multitude – a big amount

Pastry – sweet food made for dessert

Decadent – filling, rich, delicious

Advice – an idea of the right thing to do


Fill in the blank

1.       The best _________________ I received was to order the salsa.

2.       The dessert was so _________________, I was unable to finish it.

3.       I love to stop at the _________________ shop for desserts.

4.       There were a _________________ of shoes for sale in the store.

5.       The _________________ books were filed all around the library.

6.       The _________________ created a blog about her    culinary adventures.

Grammatical Structure – Verbs in the past tense

Verbs in the past tense are used to describe events that happened in the past. Some words in the past tense use –ed at the end, like happened.  Other words must change to show past, present or future tense (example – went, go, will go).

Circle the correct verb tense below:

·         Sara ( go , went) to the movies.

·         Amanda (like , liked) the ice cream she ate.

·         The students ( have , had ) many talents.

http://www.eslcafe.com/grammar/simple_past_tense02.html

1 comment:

  1. Great start! I think the theme of food is perfect for an ESL class. Students might be happy to learn that you try many different kinds of cuisine and that you enjoy them so much.

    ReplyDelete